Monday, April 28, 2008

martyrs'

Monday, April 28th
Chicago, Illinois
Martyrs’
w/ so long charlie, jack callahan


The drive to Chicago was short, but we hit rush hour and it took about an hour and a half to go the last ten miles.

Martyrs' is a classy joint. By that I mean that they have candles on the table, the sound guy is always telling everybody to turn their amps down, and beers cost at least twice as much as they should. Jenna came out towards the end, I'm not sure if she saw our set or not, but it was pretty tame. We had our amps at about half what they normally are but the sound guy wanted us to turn down even more.

After the show, we went and grabbed some cheap beer and went back to Jenna's place. Her roommates had to get up early and she had wood floors, so all of us but Allen and Luke split after hanging out for an hour or two. First we tried to sneak into some club, but that wasn't happening with four people. Me and Trevis went off in search of the kind of food that tastes good at three in the morning and found some place where everything came with "Fries and Can Pop." Everything. Even if you ordered fries, it came with "Fries and Can Pop." We got some cheese sticks, mushrooms, and of course "Fries and Can pop." The burning oil from the mushrooms burned a good size hole into the roof of my mouth that didn't heal for the rest of the tour. It was pretty easy to ignore though, I only noticed it when I was eating, which wasn't that often.

James and Drew went back to the club we tried sneaking into earlier and were successful, me and Trevis went back to the van, smoked, and went to sleep. I was in the back row of seats, where Drew and Luke usually hang out, and I saw a huge bag on the floor with what looked like a little bit of schwag shake and some stems and seeds in the bottom. It made no sense at all, I didn't think anyone brought anything that looked this ditchy and even if they did, why did they have it in such a huge bag?

But in my paranoia, not wanting any loose bags floating around in case a cop knocked on our window in the night, I tore the top part of the bag off, tied it up, and put it with the rest of the stash.

The next morning, I got into the stash and everything made a lot more sense. In the morning light, it was pretty obvious what was going on. The bag I'd found the night before didn't have anything illegal in it, what I thought was nasty schwag was bread crumbs, nuts, and a twisty tie.

No comments: